Sunday, January 19, 2014

Jan 19 -- Fun! Fun! Fun!

South 89 degrees 39.396 West 070 degrees 56.714 11.6 nm Elevation 9,106 ft. 28 miles to go.

Most of the time I have been able to follow the tracks from the ski expeditions and the tracks left behind by the arctic trucks. However the track I was following yesterday was headed too far east. So I had to leave the track and am now traveling without any tracks to follow. I didn't have any tracks to follow at the beginning near Patriot Hills, but I could use the mountains to help navigate. Now there is nothing but snow. Yesterday, I used the wind to navigate, but it was a bit of a crosswind today and was not good for navigating. So I had a lot of fun trying different methods of using my compass and my GPS for navigation. It was a bit like a kid playing in the snow.

Today was a mix of sunshine and whiteout. There is still soft snow so biking is hard and I once again got low mileage. Sometimes I wonder if I will ever get to the end. I now have only two meals remaining, so I need to finish soon.

Thanks for following me as I ride my bike to the South Pole. Remember to get out and be active!

2 comments:

  1. You have very good plans and you yourself are the best symbol of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been a pleasure to follow your journey via your posts. Many here are and have been pulling for you! Finish strong!!

    ReplyDelete