Sunday, June 9, 2013

Penguins

Pittsburgh Penguins Logo
My oldest son has been a penguin fanatic practically his whole life. I think it all stated when my wife bought a stuffed penguin as a gift for me. My son decided the penguin should be his. He loves the penguin in the Santa Clause is Coming to Town movie. He named his stuffed penguin Top after Topper, the penguin in the movie. His favorite hockey team is the Pittsburgh Penguins, which is kind of cool because I served a mission in Pittsburgh. I think his love of hockey started because the team mascot was a penguin. He even ordered a pizza with anchovies on it once because he figured that is the kind of pizza a penguin would eat.
Santa Clause and Topper

As a computer programmer for Novell I had the opportunity to work on Linux which uses a penguin as its mascot.
Tux the Linux penguin
I frequently get asked about the wildlife we will see on our expedition. During my interview with Fox 13 yesterday the reporter asked me about penguins.
I would love to be able to see some penguins while on the expedition, but that most likely won't happen. Even though we will start our expedition at the edge of Antarctica, there is a big ice shelf between us and the open water, and the penguins won't be that far from the water.

Macaroni Penguin
There are 17 or 20 different species of penguins depending on which expert you talk to. The largest penguins are the Emperor penguins which are only found in Antarctica, and was the subject of the March of the Penguins documentary. The Galapagos penguins are the only penguins that, in the wild, live north of the equator. But I think my favorite penguins are the crested penguins like the Rockhopper and Macaroni penguins.

Please help fund our expedition by bicycle to the South Pole by donating at http://www.gofundme.com/SouthPoleEpic or http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/southpoleepic/the-south-pole-epic

No comments:

Post a Comment